CycloMesa, Free Bike Festival Returns to Mesa on April 1
On Saturday April 1, more than 10,000 biking enthusiasts are expected in downtown Mesa as bike month kicks off with a free festival celebrating all things two-wheeled. CycloMesa, in its 7th year, draws bike lovers from all over the Valley.
Festival goers can spectate as cyclists race in the 72-mile El Tour de Mesa, as well a beer garden, roller derby races, BMX Freestyle show, a bicycle education seminar vendors, food truck alley and more. Special kids programming including a bike rodeo will also be available and free to the public.
The CycloMesa Bicycle Festival will be held at the Mesa Convention Center, 263 N. Center St., Saturday, April 1, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more event information, including street closures and parking, visit www.cyclomesa.com.
Additional events hosted as part of the CycloMesa festivities on April 1 include:
- Mesa Adventure Challenge, Bike Edition: This wildly fun urban adventure on a bike is as much adventure race as it is scavenger hunt. Compare it to The Amazing Race, but on a local level, where anyone over the age of 12 can participate. This incredible experience consists of teams of two to six people that will solve clues, travel to local points of interest, and complete fun challenges while discovering Mesa in a whole new way on bicycles. Pre-registration is recommended; use code MESA50 for half-off registration.
- Historic Mesa Bike Tour: Cruise through Mesa on our Historic Mesa Bike Tour, on a 90-minute guided ride to get the scoop on the latest street art, Mesa Urban Garden & awarding restaurants. Discover the fascinating stories behind historic neighborhoods and iconic gems like the old Dairy Queen, Pete’s Fish & Chips, Mormon Temple, Nile Theatre and more! Tours start at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.; Pre-registration is recommended.
Programming celebrating Bike Month will continue, with additional events hosted by the City of Mesa Transportation Department’s Bicycle & Pedestrian Program.
- April 19: Bike 2 Work Day, 7-9 a.m.
Join the City of Mesa staff as they bike to downtown Mesa to meet-up with residents for a pancake and smoothie breakfast where proceeds raised will benefit Keller Elementary. Again, this year will also host an Earth Day Expo during the event to highlight ways residents and employees can go green with different City department offerings.
- April 19: Smart Cycling FUN-Damentals
Adults who are ready to get out of their car and onto a bicycle are invited to this introductory workshop to learn basic bicycle techniques, a brief update on Mesa’s bicycle projects and events, plus the rules of the road. After this 90-minute class, participants will receive free bicycle safety gear. Registration required.
- April 22: Ride-In Movies in the Park
Mesa’s free family movie series returns Saturday, April 22, at Silvergate Park for a screening of Moana. In its 2nd season, the Ride-In-Movies at the Park, hosted by the City of Mesa’s Bike & Pedestrian Program, SRP, and City of Mesa Parks and Recreation provides a fun, family-friendly outdoor event for residents. Traveling to a different park throughout the City, each monthly movie begins around sunset. Moviegoers are encouraged to walk or bike to the movie, remember your helmets and bike lights! Arrive early for safety messages and activities for the kids.
The City of Mesa’s Transportation Department Bike and Pedestrian program strives to build a more inclusive bicycling and pedestrian community through design, planning, educational programs, events and policy. Currently, Mesa boasts more than 575 total miles of on- and off-street bicycle facilities. Most recently, they celebrated the grand opening of the Rio Salado Multi-Use Pathway, connecting Mesa Riverview to Tempe.